Hugo Gellert


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Hugo Grünbaum, l'aîné de six enfants, est né à Budapest, en Hongrie, le 3 mai 1892. Sa famille a immigré à New York en 1906, changeant finalement son nom de famille en Gellert.

Hugo Gellert a fréquenté l'école d'art de la Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art et du National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts. En tant qu'étudiant, il a conçu des affiches pour le cinéma et le théâtre, et a également travaillé pour les studios Tiffany.

Comme l'a souligné Paul Buhle : « Gellert a atteint son tournant artistique lorsqu'il a fréquenté l'Académie nationale de design et a remporté un voyage de prix en 1914 à Paris. Il avait l'intention de s'inscrire à l'Académie Julian, mais a plutôt été attiré par le style radical de l'art commercial, en particulier les affiches de pneus Michelin. Après une tournée à pied à travers l'Europe, il retourne à New York et dessine des caricatures anti-guerre pour le quotidien américano-hongrois Elöre, tout en gagnant sa vie dans la lithographie commerciale.

Gellert a voyagé en Europe et a assisté au déclenchement de la Première Guerre mondiale en 1914. À son retour à New York, il a commencé à contribuer aux dessins du journal du mouvement ouvrier hongrois-américain, Elöre. Il a également publié son travail dans The Masses et pendant cette période s'est lié d'amitié avec un groupe de journalistes et de dessinateurs anti-guerre tels que Max Eastman, Floyd Dell, John Reed, Art Young, Boardman Robinson, Robert Minor, Lydia Gibson, KR Chamberlain. , Henry J. Glintenkamp, ​​George Bellows et Maurice Becker.

Hugo Gellert a provoqué une tempête politique lorsqu'Elöre a publié son dessin animé, Out of the War, en février 1916, qui montrait un vétéran sans bras nourri à la cuillère. Ses caricatures anti-guerre ont également été publiées dans d'autres journaux de gauche. James Wechsler a souligné: "Hugo Gellert... est peut-être plus tristement célèbre pour son engagement passionné dans l'agitation politique de gauche que pour sa contribution à l'art américain, mais Gellert a fermement désavoué toute distinction entre les deux. Il a professé que, pour lui, la politique l'agitation et l'art étaient la même chose.

En 1917, le frère d'Hugo, Ernest Gellert, également socialiste, a été enrôlé dans l'armée mais a refusé de servir au motif qu'il était un objecteur de conscience. Il est mort d'une blessure par balle alors qu'il était emprisonné à Fort Hancock, New Jersey. L'armée prétend que sa mort était un suicide, mais les circonstances sont suspectes. Gellert s'est enfui au Mexique pour éviter la conscription, mais a continué à fournir des dessins animés anti-guerre pour les journaux et les magazines de gauche.

Après que les États-Unis ont déclaré la guerre aux puissances centrales en 1917, les journaux de gauche ont subi des pressions du gouvernement pour modifier leur politique anti-guerre. Lorsque The Masses a refusé de le faire, le journal a perdu ses privilèges de diffusion. En juillet 1917, les autorités prétendirent que des articles de Floyd Dell et Max Eastman et des caricatures d'Art Young, Boardman Robinson et Henry J. Glintenkamp avaient enfreint la loi sur l'espionnage. En vertu de cette loi, c'était une infraction de publier du matériel qui sapait l'effort de guerre.

Henry J. Glintenkamp a fui le pays pour le Mexique mais les autres ont été jugés en avril 1918. Floyd Dell a plaidé devant le tribunal : plutôt que de les reconnaître comme ayant autorité sur lui. Cet entêtement fondamental de l'âme libre, contre laquelle tous les pouvoirs de l'État sont impuissants, constitue une objection consciente, quelles que soient ses sources dans l'opinion politique ou sociale. L'action en justice qui a suivi a forcé Les masses de cesser la publication. Après trois jours de délibération, le jury n'a pas réussi à se mettre d'accord sur la culpabilité des accusés.

Le deuxième procès a eu lieu en janvier 1919. John Reed, qui était récemment revenu de Russie, a également été arrêté et inculpé avec les premiers accusés. Dell a écrit dans son autobiographie, Retour à la maison (1933) : « Pendant que nous attendions, j'ai commencé à réfléchir par moi-même à la question que le jury s'était retiré pour trancher. Étions-nous innocents ou coupables ? Nous n'avions certainement rien conspiré pour faire quoi que ce soit. dire la vérité. Dans quel but ? Pour garder une certaine vérité vivante dans un monde plein de mensonges. Et à quoi bon cela ? Je ne sais pas. Mais j'étais heureux d'avoir participé à cet acte de défi de dire la vérité. ." Cette fois, huit des douze jurés ont voté pour l'acquittement. La Première Guerre mondiale étant maintenant terminée, il a été décidé de ne pas les poursuivre en justice pour la troisième fois.

En 1918, les mêmes personnes qui ont produit Les masses, dont le rédacteur en chef, Max Eastman, a continué à publier un journal très similaire, The Liberator. Hugo Gellert a été choisi pour dessiner la couverture de son premier numéro en mars 1918.

En 1922, le journal fut repris par Robert Minor et le Parti communiste américain. et en 1924 a été rebaptisé The Workers' Monthly. Bon nombre des personnes qui ont contribué à la Les masses et l'original Libérateur, étaient mécontents de ce développement et en 1926, ils ont commencé leur propre journal, le Nouvelles messes. Au cours des années suivantes, Gellert a été un contributeur majeur à ce magazine. En 1928, il créa une murale pour la cafétéria des travailleurs à Union Square.

Hugo Gellert était un grand ami de John Reed, qui est mort du typhus alors qu'il était à Moscou en 1920. Gellert a écrit : sont la source d'un nouveau et vigoureux mouvement artistique en Amérique, digne de la tradition de John Reed - poète et brillant journaliste - un pionnier de la culture ouvrière américaine, un héros et un martyr de la révolution ouvrière russe victorieuse." En 1929, il s'associe à William Gropper, Jacob Burck, Anton Refregier et Louis Lozowick pour fonder le premier John Reed Club. Le groupe a organisé des cours et des expositions à New York. Plus tard, ces clubs se sont formés dans tout le pays.

Malgré son activisme de gauche, Gellert a travaillé comme artiste au New Yorker Magazine. En 1932, Gellert a été invité à participer à une exposition murale au Museum of Modern Art et a soumis une peinture murale politique sur le lien entre les industriels et les criminels de la pègre, intitulée Us Fellas Gotta Stick Together - Al Capone. Le musée a tenté de censurer la peinture murale, ainsi que les peintures murales de William Gropper et Ben Shahn. D'autres artistes ont menacé de boycotter l'exposition en raison de la censure et ils ont finalement réussi à les restaurer dans l'exposition. Cependant, ils n'ont pas été reproduits dans le catalogue.

En 1933, Gellert a illustré le Capital en lithographies de Karl Marx, et en 1935, il a écrit une satire marxiste et illustrée intitulée Camarade Gulliver, An Illustrated Account of Travel into this Strange Country the United States of America. Cela a été suivi par Aesop Said So (1936).

Après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, Gellert s'est de plus en plus préoccupé de la croissance de l'extrême droite aux États-Unis. Ses attaques contre Joseph McCarthy lui ont valu d'être convoqué devant le comité des activités anti-américaines de la Chambre. Gellert a refusé de répondre aux questions et a donc été mis sur liste noire.

En 1954, Gellert a créé la Art of Today Gallery à New York avec Rockwell Kent, Maurice Becker et Charles Wilbert White, pour les artistes sur liste noire. Gellert a été le secrétaire de la galerie jusqu'à sa fermeture en 1957. Comme l'a expliqué Paul Buhle : « Au cours des années 1950 à 1970, il a continué à contribuer largement à son art, sur le racisme, le militarisme et la cause du syndicalisme.

Hugo Gellert est décédé à Freehold Township, New Jersey, le 9 décembre 1985.

Dans les pays « démocrates » - États-Unis, Angleterre, France, etc. - les clubs de police obligent des millions de chômeurs à se soumettre à la famine. Dans notre Amérique, nous vivons dans une période de plus grande expropriation de l'histoire depuis que nous avons pris la terre aux possesseurs indiens. (De braves pionniers ont risqué leur vie pour cette terre ; maintenant, des banquiers rusés s'en emparent sans rien risquer.) Dans tous nos États du Sud, nos frères noirs ont toujours connu l'esclavage. Sous la N.A., le président Roosevelt fait de tous les travailleurs des esclaves à l'aide de "syndicats ouvriers" à l'épreuve des grèves, sur le modèle de Mussolini. Notre dernier vestige de protection contre les fiducies rapaces est en train d'être supprimé.

Les « savants » parlent sérieusement de démolition de machines. Ils prônent un frein aux inventions et aux expériences scientifiques. Le coton est détruit. (Même la charrue devient un instrument de destruction.) Le blé est brûlé. Les fruits sont déversés dans l'océan. Le lait est versé dans les égouts et les porcs sont abattus pour l'engrais, tandis que des milliers d'êtres humains meurent de faim. Les instruments de guerre sont prêts à infliger la mort et la destruction.

Hier menace de dévorer demain.

Mais de l'Est s'élève un nouveau Prométhée. Et tous les Dieux du Monde ne peuvent pas l'enchaîner ! Le grand disciple de Karl Marx, Lénine, a dirigé les ouvriers et les paysans russes qui ont créé l'Union des Républiques socialistes soviétiques. Et ces ouvriers et paysans sont devenus les maîtres de leur propre destin. Le Jeune Géant avec ses mains puissantes construit l'avenir de l'humanité et des lumières brillantes s'allument dans son sillage....

Les déshérités de la Terre s'inspirent de son exemple. Ils gagnent en force et en courage et se lancent dans cette forme supérieure de société - le Nouveau Monde : beaucoup pour tous, une place au soleil pour tout le monde. Mais aucune place ne restera pour les Maîtres dans un Monde où nul n'a le privilège de spolier ses semblables. Le fascisme est le dernier effort désespéré du Maître pour conserver le pouvoir, nous enchaîner au passé, nous priver de notre droit d'aînesse à l'avenir, nous empêcher de créer un Monde digne de l'Homme.

"Nous sommes nombreux - ils sont peu nombreux."

Das Kapital est notre guide. Comme la radiographie, elle révèle les profondeurs sous la surface. j'espère que sous cette forme abrégée, l'œuvre immortelle de Karl Marx deviendra accessible aux masses : à l'immense armée d'ouvriers sans travail et d'agriculteurs sans terre ; aux ouvriers des usines et des mines, à tous ceux qui peinent avec leur cerveau ou leurs muscles. Ce livre est fait pour eux. Car mon existence et la vôtre en dépendent : « Le travail est une condition nécessaire de toute existence humaine, et indépendante des formes de la société. C'est à travers les âges une nécessité imposée par la nature elle-même, car sans elle il ne peut y avoir d'échange de matière entre l'homme et la nature, en un mot, pas de vie."

La traduction sous forme graphique des concepts révolutionnaires de Das Kapital a été une source d'inspiration et de stimulation. D'autres artistes révolutionnaires trouveront dans les œuvres de nos grands dirigeants de la classe ouvrière - Marx, Engels, Lénine et Staline - une mine de matériaux pour leurs meilleurs efforts créatifs.

L'héroïsme de l'avant-garde révolutionnaire américaine, les luttes abandonnées des ouvriers et des agriculteurs malgré la prison, les gaz lacrymogènes et les balles sont à l'origine d'un nouveau et vigoureux mouvement artistique en Amérique digne de la tradition de John Reed - poète et brillant journaliste - un pionnier de la culture ouvrière américaine, un héros et un martyr de la révolution ouvrière russe victorieuse.

Dans ce livre, seules les parties les plus essentielles du texte original sont données. Mais à l'aide des dessins, le matériel nécessaire à la compréhension des fondements du marxisme est inclus.

(2) James Wechsler, Hugo Gellert : Histoire d'une polémique (sans date)

Hugo Gellert est né en Hongrie en 1892 et a émigré aux États-Unis avec sa famille en 1906. Gellert est décédé en 1985. C'était un artiste très connu dans ce pays dans les années 1930, pourtant il a été essentiellement oublié. Aujourd'hui, il est peut-être plus tristement célèbre pour son engagement passionné dans l'agitation politique de gauche que pour sa contribution à l'art américain, mais Gellert a fermement désavoué toute distinction entre les deux. Il professait que, pour lui, l'agitation politique et l'art étaient la même chose.

Les activités de Gellert ont grandement contribué au ton politique de l'art américain des années 1930. Il a occupé une position déterminante dans l'organisation du Comité d'action des artistes et de l'Union des artistes, deux institutions pivots qui ont grandement contribué à l'instigation et à la perpétuation des programmes d'art WPA financés par le gouvernement fédéral. Il a siégé au comité éditorial d'Art Front, la publication officielle de l'Union des artistes.

Un dessin de Gellert ornait l'en-tête du premier numéro (un dessin de Stuart Davis figurait sur la couverture). Plus tard dans les années 1930, Gellert a aidé à organiser le Congrès des artistes américains de février 1936, au cours duquel il a prononcé le discours d'ouverture. Il a également pris la parole au deuxième Congrès des artistes américains en décembre 1937. Également à la fin de 1937, Gellert s'est impliqué dans le Comité de coordination des artistes pour l'Exposition nationale d'art contemporain américain à l'Exposition universelle de New York de 1939. Dans le même temps, soucieux des meilleurs intérêts des artistes, Gellert a supervisé la formation d'un syndicat pour protéger les droits des muralistes et de leurs assistants alors que l'Exposition universelle était en cours de planification.

Gellert a peint une fresque spectaculaire empreinte de l'optimisme technologique qui était si omniprésent dans le modernisme des années 1930 pour le bâtiment des communications de la foire. Il a également peint deux autres peintures murales à New York dans les années 1920 et 1930. Tous ont été détruits. Le plus ancien, peint pour la cafétéria du Parti des travailleurs sur Union Square, date de 1928. Gellert avait été invité à Moscou par la maison d'édition d'État pour concevoir des couvertures de livres pour les éditions russes des livres de Theodore Dreiser. La peinture murale a été le premier projet que Gellert a entrepris à son retour à New York. Fortement influencée par le modernisme russe des années 1920, c'est l'une des premières peintures murales modernistes aux États-Unis, juste avant les commandes nord-américaines de Diego Rivera et Jose Clemente Orozco. En novembre 1928, peu de temps après le dévoilement de la peinture murale, le New Yorker déclara : « Les peintures murales de Gellert sont les seules sur ce continent, à l'exception de celles de Rivera à Mexico qui sont vraiment contemporaines. Haute de huit pieds, la peinture murale de Gellert couvrait un mur entier de quatre-vingts pieds de long et un mur de façade de trente pieds de long. Le long mur comprenait une frise d'ouvriers industriels monumentaux, aux couleurs vives et au rendu sculptural, se tenant devant des usines de précision et des structures minières. La peinture murale a été détruite lors de la démolition du bâtiment en 1954.

Les peintures murales de Seward Park ne sont en aucun cas la seule œuvre de Gellert à avoir suscité la controverse. Il excellait à créer des problèmes avec son art. En 1932, Gellert fit la une des journaux à New York lors d'un incident impliquant une étude murale qu'il fut invité à soumettre à l'exposition Murales de peintres et photographes du Museum of Modern Art. La peinture de Gellert, Us Fellas Gotta Stick Together (Collection of The Wolfsonian, Miami Beach, FL), ainsi que le célèbre La Passion de Sacco et Vanzetti de Ben Shahn (Collection du Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY) et une peinture de William Gropper, a été rejeté pour l'exposition car elle présentait des portraits peu flatteurs de John D. Rockefeller, Jr. (dont l'épouse, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller, a essentiellement fondé le musée en 1929), JP Morgan, Henry Ford et le président Herbert Hoover.


Histoire de l'hôtel Danubius Gellért

Hôtel Danubius Gellért est l'un des hôtels les plus anciens et les plus célèbres de Hongrie. Situé dans un cadre pittoresque, il se trouve sur la rive du Danube au pied de la colline Gellért, ce qui rend son emplacement exceptionnellement avantageux. Facilement accessible, le centre-ville se trouve juste en face du magnifique pont Szabadság (Liberté).

Évêque de Saint-Gellert

Des encyclopédies, des livres de voyage et d'histoire, ainsi que des livres de prières commémorent l'évêque martyrisé en 1046 après JC. La colline Gellért et l'hôtel portent son nom. Depuis 1904, la statue de l'évêque surplombe le pont Erzsébet du haut de la célèbre cascade.

Il est né dans une famille riche vers 980 après JC à Venise, en Italie. Le moine bénédictin acquit de grandes connaissances en sciences de cette époque. Selon certaines sources, il était lié à la Terre Sainte, quand à l'invitation d'un bénédictin hongrois, il a décidé de rester ici. D'autres sources affirment qu'il a été invité par le roi Stéphane Ier pour faciliter la conversion au christianisme. Plus tard, il devint le mentor du fils du roi, le prince Imre. En 1030, alors évêque de Marosvár (Csanád), il y fonda la cathédrale et le monastère. Après la mort de Stéphane en 1038, Gellért mena une vie de retraité. La légende raconte que des Hongrois païens se révoltant contre l'institution du christianisme l'ont enfermé dans un tonneau et l'ont jeté de la colline Kelen jusqu'au Danube. Avec Stephan et Imre, Gellért est canonisé en 1083.

Colline Gellért

La colline Gellért est l'un des sites les plus connus de Budapest, offrant des vues spectaculaires sur la capitale. La colline de 778 pieds de haut attrayante pour les randonneurs et riche à la fois en histoire et en habitat naturel est située dans le 11e district. Souvent appelée le « joyau de Budapest », la colline et les zones adjacentes de préservation naturelle font partie du patrimoine mondial de l'Unesco.
La Citadelle se trouve également ici, qui est un site historique et touristique important pour la Hongrie. La forteresse a été construite entre 1850 et 1854, après la répression de la révolution hongroise contre la domination des Habsbourg en 1849. La construction a été ordonnée par Haynau, un général autrichien, pour surveiller les Hongrois potentiellement révoltés. La Statue de la Liberté du sculpteur Zsigmond Kisfaudy Stróbl commémore la fin du régime nazi et la « libération » de la Hongrie par l'Armée rouge.

La colline Gellért abrite une grande quantité de valeurs naturelles. Il a une importance géologique, car les lignes tectoniques à son pied sont responsables des sources d'eau thermale trouvées dans tout Buda, telles que les sources Árpád, Rákóczi et Mátyás. Les grottes de la colline Gellért sont soumises à la préservation nationale, y compris la grotte Iván et sa chapelle, ainsi que les grottes de source des stations thermales Gellért et Rudas.

La chapelle troglodytique Saint Gellért est un sanctuaire national. Il se compose de deux parties : l'ancienne grotte supérieure (grotte d'Iván ou grotte de Lourdes) et les grottes artificielles inférieures situées plus loin à l'intérieur de la montagne. La température est de 21 degrés Celsius toute l'année. La chapelle de la grotte a été construite dans les grottes naturelles par le seul et unique ordre de Pálos fondé en Hongrie (ordre de Saint-Paul, le premier ermite).

Il a été transformé en temple en 1926 par Kálmán Lux et a été conçu d'après la grotte de Lourdes. À la fin des années 1950, le régime communiste a rejeté l'ordre paulien et muré l'entrée. Plus tard, le temple a été utilisé comme site d'observation de la topographie karstique, tandis que le cloître servait de dortoir aux étudiants de l'Institut de ballet d'État hongrois. Le complexe a été rouvert le 27 août 1989. Le cloître est accessible par la chapelle Saint-Étienne. Fretworks décorant les murs
ont été sculptés par Béla Ferenc. L'artefact le plus précieux de l'ordre paulien est également conservé ici : le tibia de saint Paul le premier ermite. L'autel provient de la manufacture Zsolnay, Pécs.

Hôtel et Spa Gellért

La culture du bain des anciens Hongrois n'est pas révélée. Selon certaines chroniques, les sources thermales de Buda ont été reconnues par les rois de la dynastie Árpád (1000-1301). Les données de 1178 impliquent que l'Ordre Johannite a établi un hôpital au pied de la colline Gellért. La culture balnéaire à Buda était en plein essor à l'époque turque. Le bain s'appelait Adzik Ilidza, Open Spa en turc. D'autres sources font référence au site sous le nom de bain d'Aga ou spa des vierges.
Après l'expulsion des Turcs du pays, le bain a eu de nombreux propriétaires différents. Dans un livre de voyage allemand de 1827, il est mentionné qu'il y avait des logements construits pour le spa, et plus tard, en 1832, la construction d'un plus grand hôtel et d'un bain a commencé.
Au 19ème siècle, il s'appelait Sárosfürdő et était considéré comme un bain et un hôtel agréables. Son nom « Muddy Spa » vient de sa boue exceptionnellement saine, dépassant toutes les autres sources en qualité. En raison de sa popularité, les réserves de boue de Sárosfürdő ont été épuisées.

En 1894, la construction du pont Szabadság et la reconstruction de la place Gellért étaient en cours. La construction du St. Gellért Hotel and Spa a commencé en 1911, mais la Première Guerre mondiale a retardé les travaux. L'hôtel, construit dans le style Art Nouveau (sécessionnel) des palaces-hôtels du début du siècle, a finalement été inauguré en septembre 1918.

L'hôtel traditionnel centenaire est toujours un symbole de Budapest. Le bâtiment a été construit par Ármin Hegedűs, Artúr Sebestyén et Izidor Sterk, leur style étant fortement influencé par les œuvres d'Ödön Lechner. L'entrée caractéristique est décorée de reliefs d'Aladár Gárdos, tandis que l'entrée principale du bain abrite de grandes statues représentant la guérison de József Róna.
Lorsque l'hôtel de quatre étages a ouvert, il ne comptait que 176 chambres. Toutes les suites avaient des salles de bains avec de l'eau minérale et thermale.

Peu de temps après l'inauguration du St. Gellért Hotel and Spa, la soi-disant Révolution d'Automne-Rose a éclaté et le bâtiment a été utilisé à des fins militaires. Plus tard, la consolidation de la situation politique et sociétale a permis au grand public d'utiliser à nouveau l'hôtel et le bain à sa fonction d'origine. L'hôtel est rapidement devenu une plaque tournante de la vie sociale grâce à ses grands intérieurs, ses terrasses et ses piscines. En octobre 1921 s'est tenue ici la Convention internationale des hôteliers. Le livre d'or a été signé par des personnalités célèbres. Aux côtés du gouverneur de Hongrie et des représentants du gouvernement, les ducs, duchesses, maires, maharajas, poètes, écrivains, musiciens et aristocrates des familles royales européennes ont tous séjourné à Gellért. Julie, reine de Hollande a également passé sa lune de miel ici.

En 1927, la piscine à vagues extérieure a été construite par Artúr Sebestyén et la même année, 60 nouvelles chambres ont été ajoutées à l'hôtel. La piscine à vagues produit des vagues sous les acclamations des baigneurs avec les machines d'origine à ce jour. En 1934, la piscine jacuzzi a été ouverte.
Les restaurants de l'hôtel ont toujours été exploités par les meilleurs professionnels du domaine. À partir de 1927, c'est Károly Gundel qui loue et gère les salles à manger. Son professionnalisme a grandement contribué à l'ascension de Gellért au rang des grands hôtels internationaux. Les événements à Gellért ont été inclus dans des articles de journaux du monde entier. Gundel a créé ses trois plats célèbres ici : le Rothermere Zander, les champignons Bakony et les escalopes de veau de Pittsburgh.

La Seconde Guerre mondiale avait gravement endommagé le bâtiment. L'aile du Danube a complètement brûlé et l'aile de Gellért Hill en partie. Les reconstructions ont commencé en 1946 du côté de la colline et en 1957 du côté de la rivière. Les salles d'aujourd'hui Duna, Márvány, Gobelin, le Tea Saloon ainsi que l'Eszpresszó ont été construites en 1960.
Il existe deux célèbres spécialités de desserts de Gellért. Posztobányi Pudding ou Gellért Pudding riche en fruits secs, et le Gellért Roll fourré au chocolat, fabriqué selon la recette secrète que tant de gens ont essayé de découvrir. Le vrai Gellért Roll ne peut encore être dégusté qu'à l'hôtel.

Jusqu'aux années 70, l'hôtel Gellért représentait la première ligne du tourisme hongrois. L'hôtel a formé un personnel exceptionnel et a été un pionnier dans de nombreuses innovations dans l'industrie. C'était le premier hôtel en Hongrie où les clients pouvaient payer dans la devise de leur propre pays, les taxis de l'aéroport ont d'abord été employés ici et Gellért a également été le premier à installer des mini-bars dans les chambres. Le restaurant Brasserie de l'hôtel a également été la première unité de restauration à lancer le service d'assiettes suisses.
Gellért a de nouveau accueilli des invités de renommée mondiale. Yehudi Menuhin virtuose du violon fut le premier d'entre eux après la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Richard Nixon, Julius Raab et Bruno Kriesky chanceliers autrichiens, Shah Pahlavi d'Iran et sa famille, roi du Népal, le Dalaï Lama, Casaroli, qui fut secrétaire d'État du Vatican, prix Nobel Heisenberg, American Sabin, acteurs Kirk Douglas, Anthony Quinn, Marina Vlady, Alberto Sordi, Jane Fonda, le virtuose du violoncelle Pablo Casals, le violoniste Isaac Stern, le pianiste Arthur Rubinstein, les chefs d'orchestre Carlo Zecchi, Gábor Carelli et Roberto Menzi, le compositeur Dimitrij Shostakovich, Andrew Lloyd Webber et le caméraman oscarisé d'origine hongroise Vilmos Zsigmond.

Danubius Hotel Gellért et Gellért Bath aujourd'hui

Gellért dispose actuellement de 234 chambres dont 13 suites, 38 doubles supérieures, 94 doubles standard, 49 simples avec baignoire et 40 simples avec douche. Une partie des chambres fait face au Danube, dispose d'un balcon avec une vue imprenable sur Budapest.

Aujourd'hui, le bain et l'hôtel ont des propriétaires différents. L'hôtel Gellért est membre de la chaîne Danubius Hotels Group et opère sous la marque Danubius Classic Collection, qui garantit une atmosphère particulière et un service impeccable.
Le bain est géré par Budapest Thermal Waters Co. et a été rénové récemment. La piscine à vagues en plein air et la terrasse sont désormais complétées par une piscine d'eau thermale.

Gellért est l'un des sites touristiques les plus fréquentés et les plus connus de Budapest. Les belles décorations de l'hôtel incluent les tuiles produites par l'usine de Zsolnay, les colonnes du jacuzzi et les statues colorées. À Gellért Bath, la plupart des soins de cure thermale sont disponibles tels que la balnéothérapie, la mécanothérapie, l'électrothérapie, les soins de boue, etc.). Il dispose d'un service de physiothérapie complexe et d'un inhalatorium.


De quelles manières Hugo Gellert&# x27s 1932 fresque pour le Rockefeller Center en 1932 reflète la croissance du mécontentement du public qui avait surgi à la suite de la Grande Dépression ?

De nombreuses œuvres de Gellert illustrent ce mécontentement croissant du public, le plus rhétoriquement dans sa peinture murale sans titre qui a été commandée pour le Rockefeller Center en 1932, où le motif de représentation récurrent de Gellert du travailleur « idéal » est donc une nécessité majeure de composition pour la peinture murale, avec deux murs symbolisant la « lutte » pour le « travailleur » par le placement allégorique de deux outils de construction agrandis. Comme le rappelle Gellert, « il y avait une lune, qui ressemblait à un dollar en argent. À la lune était attaché un homme, les mains liées derrière lui avec du ruban adhésif. » À travers cette subversion du capitalisme, Gellert personnifie les désirs capitalistes de l'élite américaine comme une forme d'esclavage métaphysique axée sur la richesse. La conviction de l'historienne de l'art marxiste Carol Duncan selon laquelle les artistes du tournant du siècle ont incorporé des sujets d'art aussi " scandaleux, vulgaires ou " bas " pour " repousser intentionnellement le public de l'art ", touche clairement aux objectifs moteurs de Gellert pour cette fresque particulière. L'acte d'accusation antérieur de Gellert qu'il a placé sur Diego Riviera pour avoir volontairement travaillé pour des mécènes capitalistes est interprété comme des contradictions, car Gellert lui-même a été chargé de produire une peinture murale sur une propriété privée à l'intérieur du Center Theatre, l'un des théâtres les plus grands et les plus désirables de New York en 1932, mais appartenait également aux Rockefeller, l'une des familles les plus riches des États-Unis. Cependant, en parodiant le pouvoir capital des Rockefeller et d'autres membres de l'élite, Gellert promeut par conséquent le paradigme prolétarien conscient de classe comme moyen d'invoquer le travailleur affaibli loin de toute représentation superficiellement bourgeoise ou « de grand art » de la société.


Budapesten született Gellért (Goldmann) József biztosítási hivatalnok és Steiner Zsófia (1865-1936) [3] gyermekeként. A Madách Imre Gimnáziumban /Barcsay utcai Állami Főgimnázium/ érettségizett. Mennyiségtan-fizika tanári diplomát szerzett. 1914-ig egykori iskolájában tanított, ide tért vissza 1922-ben a hadifogságból. Fogolyként anyanyelvi szinten megtanult oroszul. A fogságban szerzett betegségei miatt viszonylag fiatalon halt meg. 1922-ben Budapesten házasságot kötött Guthin [4] Lázár és Markowna Sára lányával, Katalinnal (1897-1973). [5] [6]

Dolgozott a Nyugat szerkesztőségében, un ressentit pénzügyekért. Testvére, Gellért Oszkár révén került kapcsolatba a folyóirattal. Első fordításai ugyanitt jelentek meg. Pénzügyi munkája mellett kevés időt tudott a fordításnak szentelni, de így is tekintélyes és meghatározó az életműve.

    Az Artamonovok (Génie kiadásm 1926) 12 szek (Nyugat-kiadás, 1934)
  • Lidia Szejfullina Egy kuruzsló élèteEgy élet önvallomásokban
  • Censzkij : Színvaltozás
  • Orosz Dekameron 1936 /Szerkesztette Illyés Gyula
  • Schalom Asch Motke, un tolvaj
  • Fanny Hurst Mellékutca

Illyés Gyula Szerkesztés

„Szívességből orosz nyelvleckéket adott nekem s ezek alatt gyakran beszélt hadifogságáról. Mérhetetlenül sokat szenvedett, de ez nem homályosította el ítéletét: szenvedésének okozóiról is szeretettel beszélt. Életének legsúlyosabb megpróbáltatásai az oroszok körében érték viszonzásul ő úgy behatolt a nép szellemébe és nyelvébe, ahogy az oroszok közül is kevesen. A magyarság hősi halottja : a hadifogságban szerzett betegség vitte sírba. Koporsóját mégsem katonák, hanem írók, humanisták állták körül.

Kassák Lajos - Gorkij : "Az Artamónovok" Szerkesztés

"Nem könnyű feladat volt a regény lefordítása. Mikor Gellért Hugó erre a komoly feladatra vállalkozott, akkor tiszta művészeti feladatra vállalkozott. Kellett, hogy hivatást érez érez vez еааее erre a erre munkábanágyra erre akkor tiszta művészeti feladatra vállalkozott.

Bonkáló Sándor Szerkesztés

Gellért Hugó fordítása a szöveg teljes átértését és Gorkij nyelvét híven tolmácsolja. Nemcsak az értelmet, de a hangulatot és a színeket is híven adja vissza, mint azt a csasztuskák (rögtönzött versikék) és a lakodalmi énekek hű fordítása is bizonyítja.

Bratka László Szerkesztés

"Pokolra kell annak menni…" - mondhatnánk Galgóczy Árpád életútjának ismeretében. Sok társa volt ebben a pokoljárásban, ha talán ők - amennyiben egyáltalán vannak fokozatok - nem est kerültek ilyen mély bugyrokba. Az első világháborús orosz, szovjet hadifogságból hazatérő Gellért Hugo, un kor talán egyetlen oroszul tudó fordítójaként "örök darabokat" hozott létre de Galgóczyhoz hasonlóan hurcolták a Szovjetunióba Karig Sárát, un későbbi kiváló műfordítót.


L'histoire de la coopérative Seward Park

Les appartements de Seward Park Cooperative sont composés de quatre bâtiments de 20 étages, avec trois tours dans chaque bâtiment. Les architectes ont conçu les bâtiments à un angle par rapport à la grille de Manhattan, préservant de nombreux hectares de verdure pour le plaisir des actionnaires. Cette conception donne aux appartements beaucoup de lumière et offre à de nombreux appartements une vue imprenable sur le centre-ville, le centre-ville et les ponts et l'eau de l'East River.

La construction de la coopérative Seward Park a commencé en 1959 sous le parrainage de la United Housing Foundation, une fédération de sociétés coopératives de logement, d'organisations à but non lucratif et de syndicats intéressés par la promotion du logement abordable. La coopérative a été modelée après l'achèvement réussi en 1956 de l'East River Housing Corporation, qui a été financée par l'Union internationale des ouvriers du vêtement pour dames. Il existe deux autres coopératives parrainées par le syndicat dans la région de Grand Street, notamment Hillman Houses construite en 1950 et Amalgamated Dwellings achevée en 1930. Jusqu'à récemment, les quatre coopératives étaient collectivement connues sous le nom de « Village coopératif ».

For over three decades, Seward Park Cooperative operated as a limited-equity cooperative that allowed the co-op to receive tax subsidies for keeping the price of apartments at below market rates. In 1995, shareholders passed a Plan of Reconstitution converting Seward Park into a full-equity cooperative. Over a five year period the price ceilings were gradually lifted until they were completely abolished. Apartments throughout Co-op Village now sell at market rates.

Seward Park Cooperative's history of affiliation with unions and a collectivist spirit are reflected in the distinctive murals in the lobbies of our four buildings. The murals were painted by Hugo Gellert, a prominent artist of the 1930s who is known for both his art and leftist politics. Gellert created murals for the 1939 World's Fair, a theater in Rockefeller Center, a cafeteria near Union Square, and an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art. Most of Gellert's public murals no longer exist. Having his work in the Seward Park lobbies is a tribute to the intellectual, cultural and political history of the Lower East Side.

Seward Park Cooperative celebrates its 50th year in 2010. Many of the original shareholders and their families continue to live in the cooperative, and many newcomers have made Seward Park home.


2000 – 2005

The year 2000 sees the first women's collection launched under the BOSS core brand. This collection is aligned alongside the BOSS men's collection in the high-end fashion market. BOSS Womenswear offers the exclusive designs and feminine looks that appeal to modern, successful, and self-confident women with a natural zest. Classic tailoring as a tribute to the roots of the fashion house become more and more relevant within the womenswear collections, emphasizing the precise cut and the sophisticated details of the individual piece.

BOSS Golf is repositioned within the HUGO BOSS brand world with a new concept and renamed BOSS Green: Functional materials and BOSS fashion know-how are synthesized in this everyday apparel with a sporting twist. The result is a coherent collection with strong colors and high-impact looks.

In 2003 the Group's sports sponsorship activities are extended to sailing. And since that year, the 22-strong crew of the HUGO BOSS yacht, led by skipper Alex Thomson, has been exclusively outfitted with a specially manufactured sailing collection.

As modern consumers' tastes become more sophisticated, demand for supreme quality and perfect workmanship grows. For a leading brand like BOSS, it is important to satisfy these changing market requirements with innovative solutions – and thereby offer products that completely cover the high-quality menswear segment. To answer this need, the luxury line BOSS Selection is first presented for Fall/Winter 2004.

Shoes and leather goods perfectly complement every look. In January 2004, footwear and leather goods manufacturing is incorporated into the HUGO BOSS Group.


March 29, 2004 The 1930s Political Caricatures and Cartoons of Hugo Gellert

Public Contact: Martha Kennedy (202) 707-9115
Contact: Request ADA accommodations in advance at (202) 707-6362
Contact: Bibi Martí (202) 707-1639
Request ADA accommodations five business days in advance at (202) 707-6362 or [email protected]

Swann Foundation Fellow James W. Wechsler will speak at the Library of Congress at noon on Wednesday, April 7, in Dining Room A, on the sixth Floor of the James Madison Building, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C. Wechsler's illustrated presentation, titled "Black and White and Red All Over: The Caricatures and Cartoons of Hugo Gellert," is based on his research project, which is supported by a fellowship from the Swann Foundation for Caricature and Cartoon and administered by the Library. This event is free and open to the public no reservations are necessary.

In his lecture, Wechsler will discuss striking graphic art of the 1930s by Hungarian-American artist Hugo Gellert (1892-1985), an extraordinarily influential figure in American art of the early 20th century. During this era, Gellert was extremely prolific artistically and notoriously active politically. His importance did not involve stylistic innovations, or the introduction of a distinctive type of subject matter. Rather, Wechsler maintains that Gellert's most significant contributions to the development of art in America were the concepts that art should not be a rarified commodity available to only a privileged class and that artists should organize and work together, not simply for their ideals, but for their own survival.

According to Wechsler, Gellert, as an unabashed member of the Communist Party of the U.S.A., had an overriding goal to communicate with the working class, not simply to entertain them, but to radicalize them. A special FBI agent assigned to investigate Gellert noted that the artist was "potentially dangerous because of his power of appeal as a cartoonist." Wechsler asks: just how dangerous was Gellert? As an artist of the Communist Party, what were his tactics? How did his approach differ from artists of the liberal left during the 1930s? In his lecture, Wechsler addresses these questions, explores the historical moments in which Gellert participated and locates his art within the social and political dialogues of its time.

James Wechsler received his Ph.D. in art history form the Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY) in June 2003. His dissertation, "The Art and Activism of Hugo Gellert: Embracing the Specter of Communism," is the first major study of this long? overlooked American muralist and graphic artist. Wechsler has published numerous articles and essays on muralists and printmakers and received grants and fellowships to pursue research in this area. A versatile scholar and curator, Wechsler was assistant curator for works on paper at the Wolfsonian-Florida International University in Miami Beach from 1999 to 2000. From 1996 through 1999, he served as a consultant to private New York print collectors and conducted research for exhibitions of American and Mexican graphic art.

The Swann Foundation for Caricature and Cartoon and the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress are co-sponsoring this public program on the early history of caricature. The presentation is part of the Swann Foundation's continuing activities to support the study, interpretation, preservation and appreciation of original works of humorous and satiric art by graphic artists from around the world. The Foundation is guided by an advisory board composed of scholars, collectors, cartoonists and Library of Congress staff members. It awards one fellowship annually (with a stipend of $15,000) to assist scholarly research and writing projects in the field of caricature and cartoon. Applications for the 2005-2006 academic year are due on Feb. 15, 2005.


Lakeshore Park

South of Sloat Boulevard, built by the Gellert Brothers in the 1940s and 1950s.

The Gellert Brothers and Lakeshore Park

Emplacement: Lakeshore Park lies between Sloat and Lake Merced boulevards, Inverness Drive, and Sunset Boulevard.

Brothers Carl and Fred Gellert established the Standard Building Company in 1922, acting as small-scale contractors for single-family houses and duplexes. Carl Gellert acted as president of the firm, while Fred Gellert was in charge of construction activities. Neither brother had more than an eighth grade education, but both apprenticed in the building industry and took evening classes to learn architectural drawing. As their company grew with the real estate boom of the 1920s, the Gellerts made sure to diversify the business by not only building and selling individual homes, but also contracting as a construction firm for homes, markets, and apartment buildings. 1

Standard Building Company constructing Sunstream homes in Lakeshore Park in the 1940s., 1940 - WNP collection

In 1932, the Standard Building Company built its first full subdivision on Ardenwood Way off Sloat Boulevard, with twenty-four Tudor Revival residences. "Ardenwood," built in the depths of the Depression, sold slowly and the brothers went back to a business model that featured efficiency and speed over architectural detailing and variety. Standard Building Company joined other merchant builders such as Henry Doelger, Chris McKeon, and Ray Galli in aggressively developing the Sunset District with affordable row houses built in assembly-line fashion.

Spurred by low-interest Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loans, these home-building companies took on whole blocks of sand dunes, racing each other to build and sell as quickly as possible. In 1940 and 1941, on the eve of the United States' entry in World War II, San Francisco's merchant builders experienced record years for sales and houses built. The Standard Building Company's 1940 sales doubled those of the year before, with the firm building and selling 357 houses in twelve months. 2

In 1939, Standard Building Company created the "Sunstream Homes" brand name as a designation specifically for single-family row houses in the Sunset District priced less than $6,000. The company copyrighted the name, and within a year had increased sales by 45%. 3 The Sunstream brand grew beyond this original low-price use, and was employed by the company into the 1970s.

Standard Building further attempted to separate itself from competitors with creative marketing ideas, having Sunstream homes play a prominent role in a local radio drama, and creating a staff of service trucks on call to offer free repairs of small problems in customers' homes during the first years of residency. 4

In 1939 and 1940, the Standard Building Company built over 240 houses in the Pine Lake Park subdivision. Originally platted and lightly developed by the Parkside Realty Company in the late 1920s, Pine Lake Park curled around the southern edge of Stern Grove north of Sloat Boulevard. In 1939, the Gellerts purchased the farmland south of the boulevard from the Spring Valley Water Company for a new subdivision.


Buying a Standard Building house was advertised in print and on the radio as a lifestyle choice. The Gellert brothers marketed Sunstream houses as affordable first homes for young couples. - San Francisco Chronicle, February 2, 1941

Lakeshore Park

Confident from rising sales and an improving economy, Standard Building Company moved away from its practice of marketing new homes to low-income buyers and advertised that "Lakeshore Park" would be a "de luxe subdivision" 5 with restrictive covenants usually found in high-end residential parks.

The declaration of restrictions attached to every Lakeshore Park lot permitted only single-family residences banned commercial trades and businesses set a minimum market value price for buildings constructed ($3,500 for one-story house, $4,500 for two-story) and required that "no persons other than those wholly of the Caucasian race" shall use, occupy or reside in Lakeshore Park. Servants and domestic help of other races were allowed. 6

Taking aim at higher-income buyers, the Gellerts initially planned to build fully detached homes in Lakeshore Park. The first buildings, on the east side of Inverness Drive south of Sloat Boulevard, followed this pattern, but the desire to maximize the land value apparently won out, and the blocks built before World War II followed the Sunstream row house model. 7 With FHA terms, a Lakeshore Park home could be bought for as low as $5,890, 8 just a little more than a typical Sunset house.

Rather than continuing the numbered avenues of the Sunset grid, as the Fernando Nelson company had done with the Merced Manor subdivision to the east, Standard Building platted Lakeshore Park with nature-inspired street names: Sylvan, Middlefield, Forest View, Riverton, Springfield. The work crews moved east to west, constructing one block of houses at a time with an open model home each block or two as the crews progressed.

Sterling Furniture furnished the first Lakeshore model home, named the "Sunstream Lakeshore," at 20 Forest View Drive. In reference to the competition of subdivisions being advertised down the peninsula, the Sunstream Lakeshore was advertised as a "city home with a suburban background."


The Commodore Sloat Sunstream home at Forest View and Sloat Boulevard, advertised by the Gellert Brothers' Standard Building Company in 1941. - San Francisco Chronicle, August 10, 1941

Subsequent model homes were opened at 35 Forest View Drive (the "Sunstream Forest View," February 1941) 141 Forest View Drive (the "Sunstream Six," May 1941) 101 Forest View Drive (the "Sunstream Sterling," May 1941) 1201 Sloat Boulevard (the "Commodore Sloat," August 1941) 20 Meadowbrook Drive (the "Leader," November 1941) 117 Meadowbrook Drive ("Anniversary House," commemorating one year of Lakeshore Park, December 1941) and 76 Middlefield Drive ("Sunstream Security," a name perhaps inspired by the country's entry into World War II, with ad slogans such as "Defend your future," February 1942).

Standard Building Company announced that 53% of Lakeshore Park had been sold as of late January 1941. 9 That month proved to be Standard's highest-grossing to date, with 66 new homes sold for a total of $330,000. dix

In August 1941, Standard was building on Meadowbrook Drive. 11 By February 1942, the company had reached the west side of Middlefield, and down select blocks to Eucalyptus: over 200 houses constructed in five months, or more than a house a day.

The United States' entry into World War II halted the Standard Building Company's prolific work, as materials and labor were redirected away from residential developments and into defense work. The company issued a "last call" for home buyers in March 1942. Advertisements and work on Lakeshore Park stopped soon after. During the war, the company built military housing and facilities across California.

Standard Building Company After the War

In 1947 Standard returned to residential construction and Lakeshore Park homes began to reflect post-war architectural trends with detached split-levels, ranch-styles, and double garages. The price of a new home more than doubled after the war, with returning servicemen able to buy homes with little or no money down. Sunstream homes, which sold for less than $6,000 in 1939, went for $12,000 ten years later. 12 In the early 1950s Lakeshore Park was completely built-out, and Standard Building Company created a small shopping center, Lakeshore Plaza, on the west side of the development.

In 1948, the United States Supreme Court banned the use of race in deed restrictions and covenants. 13 Despite the law, the Standard Building Company faced repeated accusations that they would not sell or even show houses to African-Americans.

In 1961, future San Francisco mayor Willie Brown conducted what he described as the city's first "sit-in demonstration" at one of the company's Forest Knolls houses. 14

Standard Building Company sales people repeatedly vacated an "open house" when they saw potential African-American buyers approaching. Brown and friends responded by entering the empty house and waiting for the agents to return over a number of days.

The protest gained media attention and progressed to picketing of the Forest Knolls development and the Standard Building Company's headquarters on 19th Avenue. A Standard spokesperson told local newspapers that "we have not sold in the past to Negroes and the question of selling to Negroes in the future is still under advisement." 15

With pressure from the mayor and civic groups, Standard eventually promised to stop discriminatory practices.

Pickets returned in 1966 when the company was accused by the State Fair Employment Practices Commission of a conscious, deliberate "whites-only" policy in its new Serramonte development in Daly City. 16 Again, after, pressure from San Francisco's mayor and Human Rights Commission, among others, the company pledged to change its practices. 17

The Standard Building Company continued constructing Sunstream Homes throughout the Bay Area into the 1970s, but the energies of the Gellert brothers moved into the creation and operation of charitable foundations until their deaths in 1974 and 1978.

1. Sunstream Homes, 50 Golden Years of Home Building Excellence, Standard Building Company, 1972.

2. San Francisco Chronicle, January 5, 1941, 9.

3. "San Francisco Home Builder Makes Free House Calls," National Real Estate Journal, June 1940.

5. "Tract Nears Sell-Out New Area Opens Soon," San Francisco Chronicle, September 29, 1940, 15.

6. "Declaration of Restrictions, Conditions and Covenants affecting real property situated in the City and County of San Francisco, State of California," filed August 1, 1941, San Francisco Recorder's Office, Liber 3782, 392.

7. By building wall-to-wall in the style of row houses, Standard could add four houses more to a block side.

8. Standard advertisement, San Francisco Chronicle, February 16, 1941, 10.

9. "Standard's Home Closes," San Francisco Chronicle, January 26, 1941, 13.

10. "New Standard Building Co. Model Home Opens Today," San Francisco Chronicle, February 2, 1941, 10.

11. San Francisco Chronicle, August 10. 1941, 11.

12. American Builder, June 1949, 110.

13. Shelley c. Kraemer, 334 U.S. 1 (1948).

14. Willie Brown, Basic Brown: My Life and Our Times (New York: Simon & Schuster, 2008), 84.

15. "S.F. Homes Picketing to Spread," San Francisco Examiner, June 3, 1961, 1.

16. "FEPC Blast At Builder—Race Bias," San Francisco Chronicle, May 7, 1966, 1.

17. "Rights Boycott of Tract Asked," San Francisco Chronicle, May 13, 1966, 28, and Stephanie Salter, "Home-building brothers changed the map of San Francisco," San Francisco Examiner, March 11, 1985, B1.


--> Gellert, Hugo, 1892-1985.

Hugo Gellert (1892-1985) was a communist graphic artist, cartoonist, muralist and painter. He was born in Hungary in 1892 and came to the U.S. in 1906. Gellert was a leading contributor of art work to The Masses, The Liberator and New Masses . Gellert published three books: Karl Marx in Lithographs (1933), Comrade Gulliver (1935), Aesop Said So (1936). Among his murals were those done for the National Maritime Union headquarters and the Seward Park Houses, both in New York City. He also played a leading role in many Popular Front arts organizations from the 1930s through World War II. Gellert was the director of the John Reed School of Art. In 1937 he organized the Mural Artists Guild of the United Scenic Painters, and successfully fought, as chair of the Artists Coordinating Committee, to insure that only works of organized artists were accepted for exhibits at the New York World's Fair. During WWII, Gellert was active in Artists for Victory. Throughout his life, Gellert contributed to the Hungarian-American radical press beginning in 1916, with the newspaper Elore, and later to the Magyar Szo . He also organized, in 1927, the Anti-Horthy League, a Hungarian-American anti-fascist group.

From the guide to the Hugo Gellert Papers, Bulk, 1934-1944, 1934-1980s, (Bulk 1934-1944), (Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive)

Hugo Gellert (1892-1985) was a mural painter, graphic artist, designer, cartoonist, illustrator, and writer from New York, N.Y.

Born in Budapest, Hungary. Gellert had strong political convictions and believed in the power of collective action and endorsed the formation of a liberal labor party and an artists' union. Book illustrator for "Aesop Said So," 1936, and "Century of the Common Man," 1943. Author of "Karl Marx Capital in Lithographs," 1934.

From the description of Hugo Gellert papers, 1916-1986. (Inconnu). WorldCat record id: 227188948

Hugo Gellert was a communist graphic artist, cartoonist, muralist and painter. He was born in Hungary in 1892 and came to the U.S. in 1906. Gellert was a leading contributor of art work to progessive journals such as the Masses, Liberator and New Masses. Gellert published three books: Karl Marx in Lithographs (1933), Comrade Gulliver (1935), Aesop Said So (1936) and among his murals were those done for the National Maritime Union headquarters and the Seward Park Houses, both in New York City.

He also played a leading role in many Popular Front arts organizations in the 1930s and during World War II. He organized, in 1937, the Mural Artists Guild of the United Scenic Painters, and in 1939 successfully fought, as chair of the Artists Coordinating Committee for the New York World's Fair, to insure that only works of organized artists were accepted for exhibits. During World War II, Gellert was active in Artists for Victory. Throughout his life, Gellert contributed to the Hungarian-American radical press beginning in 1916, with the newspaper Elore, and later to the Magyar Szo. He also organized, in 1927, the Anti-Horthy League, a Hungarian-American anti-fascist group.

From the description of Papers, 1934-1979, (bulk 1934-1944). (New York University). WorldCat record id: 477247693

The Daily Worker, the official organ of the Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA), traces its origins back to the Communist Labor Party, founded in Chicago in 1919. The Communist Labor Party’s paper was known as the Toiler . When the Communist Labor Party and the Workers Party merged in 1921, the Toiler became the weekly paper The Worker . Two years later, the paper changed its name to the Daily Worker . As a daily newspaper, the Daily Worker covered the major stories of the 20th century, while at the same time speaking to the left-wing sector of the American population, which included labor, civil rights, and peace activists. The newspaper emphasized radical social movements, labor struggles, racial discrimination, right wing extremism, the Soviet Union, and the world-wide Communist movement.

The CPUSA grew under increasing attack following WWII. The rise of McCarthyism and the Red Scare eventually forced the Party to go underground, and in 1958, the Daily Worker shut down operation. In 1960, it resumed bi-weekly publication as The Worker, but never achieved the level of popularity it had in the 1930s and 1940s.

In 1967, the paper now known as the Daily World, again became a daily. It reported on the civil rights movement, including sit-ins, voter registration campaigns and the Freedom Rides. In the late 1960s and into the early 1970s, the Daily World aligned itself with the anti-Vietnam War and black nationalist movements.

In 1986 the paper merged with the CPUSA's West Coast weekly, the People's World . The newly formed People's Daily World was published from 1987 until 1991, when daily publication was abandoned in favor of a weekly edition, renamed the People's Weekly World . During this period the paper focused heavily on labor union activity, particularly in cities like Detroit and Chicago, as well as the growing anti-globalization movement.

Shifting its operations back to Chicago between 2001 and 2002, the paper changed its name to the People's World in 2009. In 2010, the paper ceased print publication and became an electronic, online-only, publication.

Specific artists represented in the Daily Worker/ Daily World Cartoon Collection include: Fred Ellis, Ollie Harrington, Hugo Gellert, Norman Goldberg, Kinkaid, and James Erickson (Eric), among numerous others.

From the guide to the The, Daily Worker, and, Daily World, Cartoon Collection, Bulk, 1940-1980, 1928-2002, (Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archive)


Later Developments - After Social Realism

The Changes in the Political Landscape

Starting in the 1930s, the United States government became dramatically less supportive of Russia, which was once the country's ally. This chilling of international relations and attacks against communism directly impacted artists and art movements. Due to persistent rumors that "reds" had taken over the Federal arts programs, the government established the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) in 1938, which investigated numerous artists, among other individuals and groups, searching for possible communist infiltrators. This threw shockwaves throughout the artistic left. An even deeper blow was the 1939 Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression pact, which caused many artists to give up their idealization of Russia as a utopia. While some remained blindly supportive of Stalin, others became more committed to FDR and democracy. With the start of WWII, America's economy kicked into recovery and many industrial jobs became available but were still racially segregated. This postwar prosperity for some Americans also distanced many people from the Soviet model.

The Replacement of the Avant-garde

It is popular to think of Abstract Expressionism as the sole art form of the mid-1940s and 1950s, totally eclipsing realism and political content in art. But this wasn't the case. In fact, many artists such as Ben Shahn, Jacob Lawrence, and Isaac, Moses, and Raphael Soyer, among numerous others, continued to exhibit their works during the Cold War era. Some artists, such as Philip Guston, did see their work evolve into abstraction. It is true that Social Realism was no longer the art of the avant-garde, but it did not vanish. However, the John Reed Club, the Artists Union, and Art Front ceased to exist in part due to internal factions and in part due to the awareness of the Holocaust and the acceptance by many that Stalin was a murderous despotic dictator, rather than a heroic figure.

However, realism and socially conscious art making never died, but these continue to be strands within contemporary art that include names such as Sue Coe and Mike Alewitz . Coe creates narrative series of prints and paintings that address difficult issues such as rape and injustice to women. Alewitz, who witnessed the killing of four young people at Kent State, has gone on to become a muralist for labor unions, social causes, and political actions. He is perhaps America's leading political muralist. In terms of scholarships and exhibitions, starting in the 1980s with publications by Alejandro Anreus, Matthew Baigell, Andrew Hemingway, Patricia Hills, Helen Langa, Diana Linden, and JonathanWeinberg, there has been a resurgence of interest in Social Realism.


Voir la vidéo: Ojos Españoles Engelbert Humperdinck (Juillet 2022).


Commentaires:

  1. Lach

    Bravo, cette pensée admirable doit être avec précision

  2. Abdimelech

    Le sujet intéressant, je vais participer.

  3. Zuzragore

    J'aime cette idée, je suis entièrement d'accord avec toi.

  4. Ozanna

    Bonne idée



Écrire un message